For seventeen years, Riaan Nel has been working with clients to ensure their financial stability. He brings them an international perspective as well as strong experience in the U.S. system. Prior to forming Detlefsen Nel & Associates and managing $85 million, he was a financial advisor at Morgan Stanley. Riaan’s education and licensures include the following:
• Bachelor of Arts Degree in Social Sciences from the University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
• Honors Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science (International Political Economy) from the University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
• Certificate of Achievement (Economics), Edinburgh Business School, Harriot-Watt University, Scotland
• Fundamentals of Estate Planning, Financial and Insurance Planning, American College, Pennsylvania
• Securities registration include FINRA Series 7 Registration, General Securities Representative; Series 66, Investment Advisor Representative; and Series 31 Registration, Futures Managed Funds, National Futures Association, held through LPL Financial.
Nel was born and raised in South Africa and worked as an economics researcher, strategic planner and Manager of a Parliamentary Research Unit in the South African Parliament before immigrating to the United States in 1998. He was also a contributing staff member on the Constitutional Assembly which finalized the negotiations between Nelson Mandela’s party and the previous governing party of South Africa.
Nel is currently the managing partner of Detlefsen, Nel & Associates.